Join us for Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams
Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams is a three-day camp for children (entering grades 2 – 11 in September 2024) who are adjusting to the death of a loved one. Developed by Licensed Master Social Workers, this camp promotes understanding, acceptance, healing and hope through a comprehensive program of activities. It is staffed by credentialed professionals and trained volunteers, and is sponsored by Visiting Nurse Hospice, Pittsford Youth Services, and Dreams from Drake. Please note: In order to attend camp in 2024, the loss of a loved one(s) must have occurred prior to January 2024.
Monday, July 1 – Wednesday, July 3, 2024 from 12:00 – 5:30 p.m. daily
Campers are required to attend all days and times.
Nazareth College (4245 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14618)
How camp can benefit your child
Grief is difficult for everyone. It can be especially confusing for children who do not have the life experiences and resources adults draw on during difficult times. Camp helps fill that gap by:
- Developing campers’ coping skills for expressing and processing their grief.
- Offering campers an opportunity to be with peers who also experienced loss; this helps them realize they are not alone.
- Providing therapeutic and social activities such as pet therapy, games, art therapy, a balloon release, music therapy, and a family style dinner at the conclusion of camp.
- Teaching campers that it is ok to have fun and still honor their loved ones.
- Assisting campers to talk openly about their loved ones with camp staff and peers.
There is no cost to campers or their families. We are happy to provide this program free of charge.
Registration is open and closes when we have 45 kids registered or April 17. Download and fill out the Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams application. Please see the contact info below on where to send your child’s application. Parents will be notified if their child is accepted by May 15, 2024.
Camp Application 2024
PLEASE NOTE: Camp books up quickly. Once it is closed, applications will be accepted for a wait list in the event we have cancellations.