Books, Support Groups, and Other Resources for Grieving/Grief
Below is a list of resources our family has found and continues to find helpful as we move through the grieving and healing process. We hope you find them helpful as well.
- Compassionate Friends (for bereaved parents): For parents who have lost a child of any age, visit https://www.compassionatefriends.org/chapter/rochester-chapter/.
- For a more comprehensive list of support groups, please visit https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/home-care/hospice-care/bereavement.aspx.
- When Something Terrible Happens: Children Can Learn to Cope with Grief, Marge Heegaard
- Water Bugs & Dragonflies, Explaining Death to Young Children, Doris Stickney
- A Birthday Present for Daniel: A Child’s Story of Loss, Juliet Cassuto Rothman
- Lifetimes: The Beautiful Way to Explain Death to Children, Bryan Mellonie
- The Next Place, Warren Hanson
- The Invisible String, Patrice Karst
- Heaven is for Real for Kids: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back, Todd Burpo
- A Terrible Thing Happened, Margaret M. Holmes & Sasha J. Mudlaff’
- Help Me Say Goodbye: Activities for Helping Kids Cope When a Special Person Dies, Janis Silverman
- The Grief Bubble: Helping Kids Explore and Understand Grief, Kerry Debay
BOOKS FOR YOUTH/TEENS
- Fire in My Heart, Ice in My Veins: A Journal for Teenagers Experiencing a Loss, Enid Samuel Traisman
- When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving and Healing, Marilyn E. Gootman
- Healing Your Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas for Teens, Alan Wolfelt, Ph.D.
- You Are Not Alone: Teens Talk About Life After the Loss of a Parent, Lynne. B. Hughes
BOOKS FOR ADULTS
- The Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of Child, Barbara D. Rosof
- Beyond Tears: Living After Losing a Child, Ellen Mitchell
- I wasn’t Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing After the Sudden Death of a Loved One, Brook Noel
- Comfort: A Journey Through Grief, Ann Hood
- When the Bough Breaks: Forever After the Death of a Son or Daughter, Judith R. Bernstein, Ph.D.
- Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss, Pat Schwiebert & Chuck DeKlyen (also for children)
- When Bad Things Happen to Good People, Harold Kushner
- Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back, Todd Burpo
- Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife, Eben Alexander
- Monroe County Office of Mental Health’s Consortium on Trauma, Illness and Grief in Schools (TIG) Program Brochure called Grief: Coping with Sudden or Traumatic Loss
- Monroe County’s Resource Guide called Coping with Sudden or Traumatic Loss: A Guide to Community Resources
- Video series, When Families Grieve, sponsored by Sesame Street
- Dealing with Death: Affects of Grief and Death on Mental Health (please note: Dreams from Drake has no affiliation with Choice Mutual).